Lectus

Lectus

Iscariot
Tosca Lee
Seduced in the Dark (The Dark Duet, #2)
C.J. Roberts

The Prisoner of Heaven

The Prisoner of Heaven - Via http://onlectus.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-prisoner-of-heaven-by-carlos-ruiz.htmlFirs, although this book is #3 in The cemetery of forgotten books series, you don’t need to have read the previous two in order to read this one.Ruiz Zafon has written each book (The shadow of the wind, The angel’s game and now The prisoner of heaven) to stand individually. Of course, all three of them use the same characters (Daniel, Fermin, etc.) and at some point they cross path, but each book can be read individually.In The prisoner of heaven, eloquent Fermin receives the visit of a dark friend from the past. His appearance plunges Fermin and his friend Daniel into a dangerous adventure that started twenty years ago with a man in a prison who the inmates called “the prisoner of heaven.” Why is he in jail and why Mauricio Valls, the director of the jail hates him so much? That and how Fermin comes into the story is narrated in a novel full of intrigue and suspense.The book is set in Barcelona, during Spain’s Civil War (1938-1939); a period where you were incarcerated for just having the wrong thoughts about Franco, the dictator. This political turmoil reminded me of The feast of the goat by Mario Vargas Llosa.I was totally immerse in the story and was very disappointed to see that Valls didn’t pay for his crimes! Of course, this is all for another book, not less.What I enjoyed most (as with the previous books) was Fermin’s dialogue. Alas! The man has a way with words that just made me read his lines twice and laugh out loud! For those of us who had read Ruiz Zafon’s two previous books, The prisoner of heaven holds a nice surprise. But don’t worry, you’ll be equally surprised by just reading this one too :-)